What is a mother-in-law suite?
Mother-in-law suites are extensions of a home that are remodeled into autonomous living spaces. This can act as a temporary or long term home for family members and is great for giving your guests more privacy. This is ideal for Grandparents looking to spend extra time with their grandkids and for young adults looking for more privacy. These spaces can also be rented out and will increase the value of your house. If you need extra space, privacy, or want to improve your home, creating a mother-in-law suite is the way to go.
Where to add a mother-in-law suite?
- The Basement: The basement is an ideal place to create a mother in-law-suite. Why? Because the basement is isolated from the rest of the house and is generally unused and unfurnished. Finishing your basement to create a mother-in-law suite offers privacy and is a great way to increase the value of your house. Plus when it’s not in use, it can be converted into a game room or relaxing space.
- Garage: The garage is another great place to create a mother-in-law suite. It offers privacy and utilizes all the square footage of your house. One of the best aspects of a garage mother-in-law suite is the size. Garages tend to be large and allow for a more customizable space.
- Shed: The shed is also an excellent choice because it offers complete privacy. It’s separate from the rest of the house and prevents any sound pollution crossover. It’s also an ideal space to rent out after renovation.
- Rooms separated from the rest of the house: Rooms that lie on the wings of the house are great spaces to convert into a mother in-law-suite. The reason they are the bottom of this list is that these will require you to put up additional walls and doors. Other than that, these suites are great for live-in family or recently graduated kids.
Adding a mother in-law-suite: A Step by Step guide
Once you’ve decided you want to add a mother-in-law suite, going about doing so can be a bigger hassle than you might expect.
- Pick a Space to Convert- ideally a basement or garage
- Select a Budget- mother-in-law suites can run anywhere between $10,000 – $75,000
- Look up zoning laws and file papers for approval- each city and municipality has different laws
- Pick flooring & Install Flooring
- Purchase Furniture, Beds, etc.
Or if you want to simplify the process you can hire a professional contractor.
The best way is often the easiest way. Hiring a contractor will save you months of time and they can build you high-quality mother-in-law suite hassle-free. This means you don’t have to worry about zoning or paperwork either. One of the best home renovation contractor is Reality Construction. They’ve been a leading force in the industry since 1996. Call 262-502-3526 to start planning your dream mother-in-law suite today.
Increase the value of your home with a mother-in-law suite!
You can increase the value of your home substantially with a mother-in-law suite. Not only can it serve as a rentable space, but it also is a desirable feature when selling a home. Building a mother-in-law suite is not just a purchase, it’s an investment.